Southern New Hampshire University Online MA in English and Creative Writing
Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU) offers an online MA in English and Creative Writing program that gives students the choice of a general path or one of four concentrations: fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and screenwriting. Students will learn how form, language, and literacy integrate into the voice and style of writing, delve into their own creative process, and study cultural contexts and historical traditions of classic and contemporary writing.
The MA in English and Creative Writing program helps writing students develop a professional identity of confidence in media platforms and presentations. Additionally, students learn to use technology in writing and promoting their work. Throughout the program, students develop writing goals and find their own voice and style of writing. The curriculum allows for unique combinations of courses befitting each student’s style and career aspirations.
The SNHU MA in English and Creative Writing program comprises 36 credits and can be completed in as few as 15 months by taking two courses per 10-week session, or students can complete the program at their own pace. Graduate online programs at SNHU begin five times per year in 10-week increments, landing in September/October, December, February/March, May, and July/August, depending on the year.
The program requires no campus visits. Online courses are delivered asynchronously for maximum flexibility, and students can log in at their convenience to complete coursework. Southern New Hampshire University makes online learning systematic by posting all requirements for the upcoming week on the dashboard. Course components may include readings, quizzes, presentations, writing samples, and original written works of publishable quality.
Graduates of the SNHU online MA in English and Creative Writing may go on to careers in journalism, publishing, proofreading and editing, technical writing, screenwriting, public relations, marketing, writing in various genres, or freelance writing.
Courses for the online MA in English and Creative Writing include Studying the Craft; Story and Concept; Graduate Studies in English Language; English and Creative Writing Capstone; and Graduate Studies in Literary Theory. Students also take either Seminar in Writing Instruction or Online Teaching Experience, six credits from upper-level literature classes, and two of the following: Screenwriting Fundamentals; Poetry Fundamentals; Fiction Fundamentals; Nonfiction Fundamentals; Fiction and Film; Studies in Place and Setting; Genres: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Other Popular Fiction; Contemporary Writers and Publishing; and The Editor.
Those following a general English and Creative Writing path also take two of the following: Screenwriting Fundamentals; Poetry Fundamentals; Fiction Fundamentals; Non-Fiction Fundamentals; or Internship (which includes 150 internship hours).
Fiction concentration courses include Fiction Fundamentals, Genres: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Other Popular Fiction; Fiction Thesis Writing, and Fiction Thesis Completion.
Nonfiction concentration courses include Non-Fiction Fundamentals, Non-Fiction Thesis Writing, and Non-Fiction Thesis Completion.
Poetry concentration courses include Poetry Fundamentals, Poetry Thesis Writing, and Poetry Thesis Completion.
Screenwriting concentration courses include Screenwriting Fundamentals, Screenwriting Thesis Writing, and Screenwriting Thesis Completion. For all concentrations, the Fundamentals course listed takes the place of English and Creative Writing Capstone in the major.
Southern New Hampshire University is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE).
Southern New Hampshire University
Online MA in English And Creative Writing
- Students can choose a general path or concentrations in fiction, non-fiction, poetry and screenwriting
- The curriculum includes a course on the English language covering topics such as the history of English, etymology, phonology, syntax, semantics, dialects, and more
- One course on teaching or writing instruction is required
Online MA in English And Creative Writing - Fiction
- Graduate students go beyond the basics of storytelling to an exploration of genres, audiences, and their creative voice
- At the end of the program, fiction students create their own manuscript, applying their creative voice to their work
- Graduates can apply learned skills to writing novels and other works, or to scriptwriting, marketing, and freelance work
Online MA in English And Creative Writing - Nonfiction
- Students gain the tools needed to create factual works based on research and human experiences
- The curriculum includes information on broadcasting, publishing, and professional production
- The curriculum offers the flexibility to tailor the degree toward each student's career goals
Online MA in English And Creative Writing - Poetry
- Poetry students use their imaginations to create poetic imagery that is vivid, moving, and inspiring
- Students learn to appreciate how poetry affects thinking, communication, and understanding of the world around them
- Poets may work for nonprofits, journals, bookstores, and magazines, or publish their own poetry
Online MA in English And Creative Writing - Screenwriting
- Students delve into the world of film and video, including a focus on story structure, creative writing, theme, action, dialogue, character development, and visuals
- The curriculum focuses on visual storytelling to create an immersive experience
- By the end of the program, students will have developed their own screenplay